Mix Submission Guidelines
Subliminal Radio sets the absolute standard for PREMIUM HD audio. Our listeners demand the highest quality and it’s our mission to deliver the best listener experience possible. For quality purposes, please follow these guidelines so your mixes sound SUPERIOR on Subliminal Radio.
- Before you get started, please make sure your mixer is in STEREO mode (yes, this happens alot — MONO is NO BUENO). Just because you have audio in BOTH channels, does NOT mean it’s STEREO.
- Watch your levels — NO RED LINES – NO EXCEPTIONS — easy to overlook when you’re in “the zone.” Clipping and distortion cannot be fixed.
- DO NOT SAVE MIXES AS MP3… ALL MIXES MUST BE RECORDED AND SAVED IN UNCOMPRESSED .WAV (or .AIF) FORMAT… NO EXCEPTIONS. MP3 MIXES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- What happens is, let’s say that some of the songs in your mix are in MP3 format (that’s one layer of data compression). Then you record your mix and save it as an MP3 (that’s a 2nd layer of data compression). Then, it’s encoded for the on-air stream (that’s a 3rd layer of data compression). By the time it hits the air, it sounds crunchy, thin, brittle and metallic. When shows get archived on SoundCloud, they transcode EVERYTHING down to 128k (even when you upload 128k MP3 files — I know, INSANE! — that adds a 4th layer of data compression). The average radio station doesn’t set guidelines for this — and you can hear it on the air (garbage in… garbage out.)
- DO NOT CONVERT mixes from MP3 back to .wav — it defeats the purpose.
- If you use MP3 songs in your mix, they must be 320kbps minimum (.WAV FILES ALWAYS PREFERRED)
- Mixes should be 62-64 minutes long.
- Send your uncompressed .wav files to firstname.lastname@example.org with wetransfer.com
- For HouseWreckaz: please send your uncompressed .wav files to email@example.com with wetransfer.com